Friday, June 10, 2011

"Sleep With One Eye Open" Chris Thile and Michael Daves

Stupendous!

I love almost everything about this album. With a very "old living room" sound, the production sticks out the most. I've never liked the sound that money makes. I'm not sure if its because I'm a musician and don't like being reminded of things I can't afford, or what, but the album sounds like hospitality. It reminds us musicians, that greatness can be attained without money if you've got some spine. Despite the "genuine" sound of the album, I couldn't help wondering if Daves is really that southern. Speaking of southern, I wonder if what we think of as southern has any relation to the sound of poverty.... Anyways, both guys can sing and play well... and they both have that rare effortless tenor ability. The harmonies are wonderful and remind me of one of my favorite albums "Realtime" by Tim O'brien and Darrell Scott. In fact, this album is very similar to that one. They do a Louvin brothers cover thats really great to. If you haven't listened to the Louvin brothers, you should because your mind will be blown by how many of the songs you'll recognize. Needless to say the've written a lot of songs that people have covered over the years.
In summation, I feel like this album says "We're some heavy weights that don't need no expensive production" Oh yea, and its a bluegrass album

by Blake Aaron Russell


Please add my Google profile to your circles!

1 comment:

  1. I love the connection you just made between "southern" and the "sound of poverty." A beautiful connection I think. The sounds of the southern "every man" are very genuine, humble and simple. They need no production. Such a lovely album!

    ReplyDelete